Wednesday, May 01, 2013

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming

To the people who think poetry month is a can of crap, and complain it’s a way for people to get attention, or atone for not writing poetry the rest of the year, or for people who don’t really care about poetry (reading or writing) to pretend they’re literate, I would say when I was a kid I went to Quaker meeting with my family and I remember being told that in “the olden days” Quakers didn’t celebrate Christmas because one should honor God every day, in all humility, without singling out one day to be especially pious and boy was I glad to find out that the Quakers had since given that up.

Also, when it’s talk-like-a pirate-day I don’t get teed off about people talking like pirates, or complain that they’re neglecting to talk like pirates all the other days. I have no desire to talk like a pirate on any day but I don’t begrudge those who do as long as they aren’t harming anyone else and are considerate of those who prefer not to participate. 

I now go back to my slow ghazaling. 

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

You make me slow giggle!

Caroline M Davies said...

I hadn't realised people did complain that National Poetry Month was attention seeking but normally poets are so quiet perhaps it is a surprise when we do celebrate?

SarahJane said...

Early in the month i read an essay by a poet about how poetry readers and writers seemed to come out of the woodwork, but didn't seem to know what to do-think-write. Anyway....

Anonymous said...

I missed talk-like-a-pirate day? :(

SarahJane said...

It's Sept. 19. You can start practicing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails