Tuesday, June 05, 2012

3 good things

First, my poem “Everything is Taking Entirely Too Long” went up at the Coachella Review. I didn’t know the issue had been up for some days already, and when I went to check today, there it was. I wrote the poem last year in a hotel in New York, and remembering being there makes me as happy as having it published.

Second, I subscribed to Court Green and got my first issue, with its dossier of short poems. Love! Especially good are the poems by Elise Cowen, whom I’d never heard of, maybe because she killed herself before she was 30 and before I was born. Tony Trigilio is putting together a book of what little survived of her poems, set for 2014 publication. 

Third, soccer season is coming up and my colleague asked if I’d bring in some books to get her through since her family is into it but she is not. Suddenly I am the book dictator. I like that. I made a little pile to start with: Waiting by Ha Jin, A Pale View of the Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro, John Dollar by Marianne Wiggins, Stoner by John Williams, Visitation by Jenny Erpenbeck, and some non-fiction.

Jealous of her, about to read some excellent books. Though I can't complain, being well into Little Dorrit myself. Little Dorrit's given name was Amy, in case you are asked. 

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I saw your poem & admired it!!

You are the perfect person to recommend those books.

SarahJane said...

Thanks. My colleague was happy with her bag o'books this morning, and I was happy too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails