Monday, May 03, 2010

airspace

Since the ash cloud cleared, letting the poor ocean have back the headlines, my package from America finally arrived. I won a book at Good Reads called Why I Hate Straws, which looks funny. I also got Columbine, a Jim Kweskin CD, and a pair of earrings. My mother slipped in a Teen Vogue for my daughter and a baking book, too.

She enclosed a note on Columbine:

"Dear Sarah,
I ended up using three bookmarks when reading Columbine – one regular, one for the index because there are so many names and it can’t be read in a few sessions – the last for the section entitled NOTES as to where the author got his sources. This book is the most horrific I’ve ever read.
Love, Mom"

She left the bookmarks in for me.

6 comments:

Kass said...

"...the most horrific I've ever read." Love, Mom

horrific and love - so close together.

"Here, read this. I want you to be horrified."

I guess she knows you really well.

SarahJane said...

I had this on my list, and my mom asks me regularly what's on my list so she got it for me, but read it first. Which I support! One book for the price of two.

I was visiting the states went Columbine happened with my kids and husband. It was a great misfortune for me personally because my husband was afterwards sure he could never live in the United States.

Anonymous said...

Any book that requires 3 bookmarks sounds like an exciting read.

Anonymous said...

any book that requires 3 bookmarks sounds like an exciting read.

SarahJane said...

or possibly just complicated!

Kathleen said...

I love your mom. Happy Mother's Day to her this weekend, and to you. (And to mine!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails