Wednesday, April 01, 2009

get out your apeshit

I don't really care about the vernal equinox or the muds of late March; for me, the first day of spring is always April 1. Of course it's also the start of National Poetry Month, when everybody gets out their apeshit spacesuits and starts writing. I'm hoping to do the same, though I recently finished a 30-day challenge that left me gasping. The Poetic Asides blog is offering an online challenge I had hoped to participate in. But at 2 pm in the European afternoon, the daily prompt had not yet appeared, making mine a poem-in-less-than-half-a-day challenge, which is overly challenging for someone who turns off the lights at 9 pm. The rules allow you to catch up, ie you can post your poem for any (and every) day anytime before New York midnight Apr. 30. But that's not really poem-a-day, now is it?

Anyway, none of this is important. The only important thing in Emmanuel Polanco, the collage artist who provided the image for my chapbook. He has all kinds of ravishing new things up on his site, not the least of which is a series of raven collages inspired by E.A. Poe.

3 comments:

Louise Mathias said...

wholly shit his stuff is gorgeous! that skull on the opening page!

Rachel Mallino said...

I really love the image you posted - he is truly a fantastic artist.

SarahJane said...

that skull is a killer. i guess part of the effect comes from expecting a skull to be hard, and yet this one's made of fresh pink rose petals.
very glad y'all looked in on emmanuel.

Related Posts with Thumbnails