Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the cheese stands alone

Can it really be that Friday will be another Friday the 13th? Didn’t we just have one of those?
Actually I’m not superstitious. But I have my tics.
Like if I get a certain number of points in a video game I will do well in my job. Or if I make it up the escalator before the song on my iPod ends, someone besides me will remember to buy milk. Or if ten cars make it through the light before it turns red, I’ll get the email I’m hoping for. If my right foot is first up the curb, “everything,” whatever that is, will be fine. But the stride must remain natural. It can’t look like I’m trying to get my right foot up the curb first. This requires some planning. If the cheese rinds are facing the outside of the cheeseplate, ie arranged as rounded petals, my home will be standing after the flood. Sometimes I’m writing a submission letter and I type a phrase and get the feeling if I use that phrase, my poems will be rejected. I try to fight this, but I usually lose. Voluntarily.
Anyway, superstitious I’m not. And the Friday part eqalizes the 13th part.

5 comments:

Rachel B said...

If it helps: today has been the Wednesday the 11th from hell. Shouldn't that equalize the Friday the 13th?

SarahJane said...

for me, too. except tuesday was worse. going to be hard to outdo...
thanks for that thought

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one that had that inventory of neuroses.

We are sisters separated at birth. (although I'm male and I'm not altogether sure that I was born in Germany)

Ron. said...

It's worse when Friday the 13th falls on a Monday, which feels like almost every Monday.

SarahJane said...

Ron. - you are too much. Yes, every Monday is Friday the 13th.

Anonymous - I am also sometimes a real boy. And I was born in Plainfield, NJ. Last year they closed my hospital...

Related Posts with Thumbnails