Tuesday, May 22, 2007

soon to be up to my eyeballs

I won a $10 Amazon gift certificate for a poem a few weeks ago, and turned it into three poetry books. Of course the gift certificate covered only one book, but you know how it is, after $25, shipping is free, which is a trick to get you to buy more. A trick that works. Since my mother comes this weekend, I figured I’d take advantage.

The Last Time I Saw Amelia Earhart: Poems by Gabrielle Calvocoressi: Not familiar with this poet beyond a few poems, but I liked those enough to try the book. Here’s a link to some of her work.

The Selected Poetry Of Yehuda Amichai: I’m also not terribly familiar with Amichai. I know he’s the most popular Israeli poet, and his focus is “humanity” in a broad and social sense, and I sometimes need to read that. Here’s a link to some of his poems. I will admit that none of these turned me on A LOT, but I have read others in print that have.

Everything is Burning
by Gerald Stern: As for Gerald Stern, whenever I read him I feel I’ve been invited to a feast. And all I can say is feed me more. Here's a poem of his that I've photocopied and taped into my little favorite poem notebook.

2 comments:

Ivy said...

I love getting books -- it's a persistent thrill! :-)

Leslie said...

The Last Time I Saw Amelia Earhart is one of my top 5 favorite first books. Calvocoressi is someone I just want to hurry up and write more books. I hope you adore it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails