Wednesday, May 23, 2007

that's the highway that goes to the building


This list is a result of my failure at the "5 songs that knock my socks off" tag.

I was in high school when I first heard Talking Heads. My sister came home from college with her punk friends and Talking Heads 77. We went down to the basement and put the record (vinyl!) on and they started to dance to Pulled Up. They danced as if invisible strings were lifting them up from where they bent over the floor. It was fresh and wonderful. I would never listen to Hall & Oates again.

The first time I heard Once in a Lifetime I was lying in bed listening to the radio. I'm sure my brow was knotted as a shoelace by the time David Byrne got to the "same as it ever was" refrain. At that point, I laughed. Not because it was funny, but because I was blown away.
10 Talking Heads Songs that Blow Me Away
1. Mind
2. The Book I Read
3. A Clean Break
4. The Great Curve
5. Once in a Lifetime
6. Don't Worry About the Government
7. Houses in Motion
8. Take me to the River
9. Cities
10. Love Goes To Building on Fire

7 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Love Has Come To Town!

BLAKE BUTLER said...

hell yes.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

I'll take your Once in a Lifetime and Take Me to the River (great Al Green song)
and I'll add these eight:

Psycho Killer
Life During Wartime
Swamp
And She Was
Road to Nowhere
Girlfriend Is Better
I Zimbra
Burning Down the House

SarahJane said...

Thanks for reading. I also love "Uh-oh Love Has Come To Town," and "Girlfriend is Better." Sam, i like most of those too. Much as I like Al Green, I like Talking Heads' rendidtion of "Take me to the River" more than his.

Anonymous said...

Once in Lifetime is my theme song, especially when I'm feelin
complacent. "HERE COMES THE TWISTER"
MANY TIMES I FIND MYSELF BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A LARGE AUTOMOBILE
(1970 SS CHEVELLE)

Bobby D :O)

SarahJane said...

Once in a Lifetime was/is a fabulous song.

Stu said...

I've been rediscovering 'Fear of Music' and 'Remain in Light' in the last few weeks. Both are absolutely staggering... and have aged very well in my opinion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails