Friday, October 28, 2011

Lorelei

It's been a long time since I made a Friday confession so here's one: I have in middle age bought a number of clothing articles that I never wore, and that I knew I would never wear. One year it was a woolen dress, skyblue, gathered at the waist and v-necked. Truth is I already had the same dress in practical black and loved it, and wore it, but when they marked the skyblue one down I bought it, too, knowing it was impossible. Who can wear skyblue? With what stockings, with which shoes? But if we buy paintings, or books for their covers, or a smooth stone to fondle, and pack beautiful photos away in scrapbooks to peruse once in a while, why not some beautiful piece of clothing we like to feel or look at? I still have the dress. It hangs in my closet like a raindrop that won't drop. When I saw it in the store it called to me like a Rhine siren.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh, thank God. And you.

I also have a sky blue dress hanging in the closet. And a white one. And a couple others. Some vintage. Beauty is beauty.

SarahJane said...

Skyblue is a killer, no? Thanks, Kathleen, you've given me persmission to do this more often. Smile.
I also have a pricier black dress that was a longshot, and I've never worn it. But when the occasion comes up for which such a dress is de rigeur, I am ready. Probably 81 years old, but ready.

Jasmine said...

The raindrop that doesn't fall.
I'm so glad to be back here after so many days.

Anonymous said...

all the possibilities remain in that raindrop that may never fall, in that sky blue dress in the closet, next to the burnt orange sweater that sets the blue so oddly. and on the shelf above, the slanted brim next to my grandfather's derby . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails