Monday, January 03, 2011

popgun and cloudburst

I got a black turtleneck for Christmas, a small that can be tucked in in the spirit of all things amphibial. It looks striking against the snow. The black turtleneck goes well with green, brown, tweed, pinstripes and grey. The black turtleneck also goes very well with black.

I made so many Christmas cookies I had to carry more than half of them into the new year: polar bears, sleighs, angels, crocodiles, squirrels, donkeys, Santas, churches and cats. What some of these have to do with Christmas I don’t know.

Like last year, my resolution is to eat more broccoli.
Like last year, this should not be difficult. If I eat four heads of broccoli I will surpass 2010 consumption.

I also intend to read Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, War by Sebastian Junger, and Tender Buttons by Gertrude Stein. My expectations are not high, a strategy that works for me.

On New Year’s Eve we participated in traditional German molybdomancy, a kind of divination. You melt lead over a flame then pour it into water. The shape the lead takes decides your fortune. M. got a dragon, which means “don’t get all worked up.” C. got a fish, which means “a bath would do you good.” Mine resembled a moon, which means “dreams will be fulfilled.”

It didn’t say whose dreams.

January 3 seems to me completely superfluous. I am wearing the black turtleneck. I would have preferred to stay home to watch 'The Lord of the Rings' triology a few million more times.

When I woke up, I asked, “where am I?,” a trick question posed only for the purpose of raising my bag-like body from bed.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Love book and cookie lists. I think I ate your broccoli.

Kass said...

Love that German tradition. It's like tea leaves, only locked in more didactically, like the Germans do.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Would like to try my hand at molybdomancy...but I'm a bit of a clutz and would most likely wind up in the ER! Hope it is YOUR dreams that come true!

SarahJane said...

Yes, I feared greatly for my tablecloth & not to panic but lead is poisonous and I kept bothering the boys to wash their hands!

ArtSparker said...

A bit of soft armor is always nice, especially if it plays well with others.

Related Posts with Thumbnails