Tuesday, October 05, 2010

sap drip

The 100%-proven way to improve the taste (read ‘desirability’) of sweets or baked goods is to bring them to the office. It could be a cake that flopped or the candy canes from Christmas you still have at Easter. It doesn’t even matter if your co-workers can identify the food, which has often been the case when a colleague brought back “something” from Asia or the Middle East. Did anyone know what it was? Did anyone actually like the taste? No, but there it was (like the mountain) so they ate it.

I, for example, could never stand those maple syrup candies from Canada, the ones that look like brown sugar granules fused together with corn syrup into the shape of a maple leaf. But when a colleague brought some to the office, what did I have after lunch? In fact, I hoarded two extra in my drawer in case the world ended.

Last October I brought back those tri-color Halloween candy corn from America that everyone professed to hate but which quickly vanished. I hate them, too, but confined to the office, I eat them in a busy three-part nibbling process of tip, middle and bottom.

Even worse, my husband has a student who often gives him bars of dark chocolate with hazelnuts that everyone in my family, including me, would rather die than eat. One day I got the bright idea to bring them to the office, where they were magically transformed the moment I got through the door into my personal booty. I didn’t put them on the table to share; I just put them in my drawer where I began the gradual but successful project of devouring them with a horrible, twisted look of disgust on my face.

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Thanks, I needed that.

SarahJane said...

I count my blessings that there are no Dunkin Donuts in Germany. I hate doughnuts, but if they showed up at the office, who knows.

ron hardy said...

Love-hate relationships are the best. Love to hate, hate to love. mmm
If you hold those candy corns behind your lips and grin they make great rotten teeth. Try it on your kids.

SarahJane said...

I will definitely try that out. If you have, in the meantime, any pictures you'd like to share, we'll look for them on your blog. smile.

Jeff said...

Like they say in real estate - location, location, location...

Candy corn is good...but I prefer the colored candy buttons on long rolls of paper myself...and with Halloween coming up...

- J.

SarahJane said...

Candy buttons don't actually have any taste, they're just fun to rip free with your teeth.

"location" - so funny.

ArtSparker said...

Thoughts provoked. "Weidrened" is a lovely neologism.

Sherry O'Keefe said...

so what i like is when someone (say my now ex-husband) tastes something and makes a face, then offers it to me, "oh this is horrible! . . . here, taste it." and i do. i taste it.

Anonymous said...

Send the chocolate along.

Anonymous said...

send the chocolate along

Jasmine said...

Hehehe!
I also eat those cookies etc that i collect in flights but never eat otherwise at office!
:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails