Friday, October 31, 2008

friday confession: sticking to my ignorance

When Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio won the Nobel Prize for literature, I had never heard of him. A month later, aside from his luscious name, I still know nothing about him. I'm sorry about this, but life is only so long.

The Nobel site describes Le Clezio as an "author of new departures, poetic adventure and sensual ecstasy, explorer of humanity beyond and below the reigning civilization."

Actually what they said was "uppbrottets, det poetiska äventyrets och den sinnliga extasens författare, utforskare av en mänsklighet utanför och nedanför den härskande civilisationen".

Wow. Too bad I have such a long reading list. I do not think I will ever get to him.

4 comments:

Charmi said...

Yes, I know. I often wonder how I'm ever going to hit even the highlights of literature!

SarahJane said...

oh you seem to have hit a bunch of them!

Anonymous said...

you'll survive!!

Anonymous said...

le clezio is equal with arrabal
he deserved it and i do not agree with the opinion of greek writers that charactirised leclezio as a second class writer and not so talented


www.arelis.gr
it contains the forbidden in greece erotonomicon
that socked greek society with its sexual and sensual context and the poems new york olympia and exhibition of orthodromic retrospection

Related Posts with Thumbnails