Monday, October 06, 2008

dein goldenes Haar Margarete

I was at the funnel cake stand in Dorney Park and their menu of beverages included "white milk."

It was the only milk on the menu.

I asked the guy what other kind of milk there might be. He suggested low-fat, 2%, and skim. They're all white, too, of course, and none of them were on the menu.

In the right light, milk fresh from the cow can appear slightly blue. And Paul Celan had his "black milk of daybreak." Matthew Sweeney also has a poem called "Pink Milk," which, if I remember right, is about milk from goats fed red carnations.

But I've never seen blue or black milk on a menu. If I did, I wouldn't order it. I also wouldn't order spilt milk or mother's milk or grey, or green eggs and ham.

Maybe in the age of obesity white milk is spelled out as an alternative to chocolate milk? Or maybe somebody just mixed "white" up with "whole."

5 comments:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Congratulations for the acceptance of In the Voice of a Minor Saint. That's great news, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, ditto! Go, you! Can't wait for it to come out.

Liz said...

Congrats Sarah - looking forward loads to it. ; )

Charmi said...

Sarah! Congrats! Can't wait for the read.

Anonymous said...

your insights are incredible. the idea of pink, black or green milk (the milk of life or MLK?) we need to be selective about what we deem to be worthy of ingesting or bringing into our lives. not since Tiger Talk have I gleened such insight into the world beyond that which we touch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails