Wednesday, February 27, 2008

a dab'll do ya

Well, this was fun - Sam's tag:

How to play:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

The nearest books I had were a stack of Pebble Lake Review, none of which made it to page 123. Beside those was Roget's Thesaurus, which did not consist of sentences, but I did check out page 123, which was wonderful, running from "Deathless" to "Debt."

Next within reach was Eclipse by John Banville, which I'm now reading. Here are the requested sentences:

She attends to the task with stern consternation, dabbing and smoothing with her little brush, careful as a medieval miniaturist. Often when she is finished she will hold her hands splayed out before her and, spotting some failure of execution, some flaw in the glaze, she will wrinkle her nose in annoyance and bring out her bottle of remover and wipe off every speck of the polish she has just finished applying and start all over again. She pays an equal attention to her toes.

I tag Laura, Dave, Nic, Valerie and, in a futile attempt at resuscitation, Carl.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm kind of opposed to blog memes, but this one seems kind of fun, so I thought I'd at least leave my results here.

Since I've lost the Internet connection to my own house, I'm in my dad's study. Dad's a peace scholar. The closest book is the new Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy, by Donald Kraybill et. al. The sentences read:
When speaking of the bread and wine, the bishop stresses the importance of each member being crushed like a grain of wheat to produce a loaf of bread and pressed like a small berry to make a bottle of wine. One bishop explained, "If one grain remains whole, it has no share in the whole. ... If one single berry remains whole, it has no share in the whole ... and no fellowship with the rest."
(Man, that is some hardcore Christianity! No thanks.)

SarahJane said...

Thanks for playing, Dave. I kind of dig the excerpt. What an interesting book!

Anonymous said...

I like the way he thinks of wine in terms of berries rather than grapes!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on it!

Nic

Related Posts with Thumbnails