Friday, February 01, 2008

I Know Every Alp

What is it about IKEA? So many people hate it, but almost no one within driving distance of one survives with a home that’s IKEA-free. The two reasons I don’t like to go there is everyone finds something they suddenly want and you spend more than you expected. And second, of course, most of the stuff is cheap so even if those black chairs looked elegant, two weeks later they’re scuffed and chipped. Or the panels scratch when you’re taking them out of the box. Which reminds me of reason three – it can be such a bitch to put together.

Still, I like visiting IKEA for the people watching. You can tell who’s really an asshole, a dominatrix, a wuss, whose relationship is suffering, who’s bitter about their buying power, and who doesn’t know where “variety is the spice of life” ends and excess begins.

I was with Carlo looking at curtains. I showed him the ones I thought were decent, and he agreed. But none that we found acceptable went with our living room. And even if they did, they were not particularly nice. He pulled out one I hadn’t noticed and, rubbing the fabric, said, “this one is interesting,” and I said “except that it looks like a 10-year old terrycloth towel.” And he laughed, because I was right.

Where we were browsing, there was another couple looking for curtains. She was studying the fabrics and he just caught up to her and, without so much as glancing at the 20 or so curtains hanging in that section, said, “I don’t like any of these.” And that was that. Search aborted.

Anyway, we came home without curtains, but a lot of candles. We stopped at a department store on the way home and went all swoony for curtains we found. Then we found out they cost about 800 euros. So maybe we’ll wait until IKEA gets some new inventory. That’s why I love IKEA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this Sarah, esp. since the one and only time my husband and I went to Ikea we came home with lots of candles and nothing else.

I know you are a Bob Dylan fan. Have you seen "I'm Not There" and if so what did you think of it?

johanna

SarahJane said...

Hi Johanna,
I think no one comes home without candles. They're pretty good candles! smile

That movie hasn't come here yet. It does look intriguing and I've seen the clip with Cate Blanchett, which I loved. I must admit though, that while I love Bob Dylan, I've never been caught up in the cult of personality or celebrity. I understand he's been known to be kind of an asshole. I try not to let that interfere with my enjoyment of his music. This came up once before when I was asked about my favorite women poets and whether or not they were heroines to me. Nothing could be further from my mind.

Anyway, sorry to go on. I would like to see that movie. You've seen it? Did you like it?

Anonymous said...

They are because they don't drip!

The movie was strange and I didn't understand half of it but it was intriguing and the 2 1/2 hours did not drag. (Some friends who I bumped into left halfway through it.)Cate did an awesome job and she was the one who seemed most like him. You might like it.

j

Related Posts with Thumbnails